Saturday, December 20, 2008

Character

My dad once told me to always have character, never be one. After spending 3 days with my young son I am wondering how to relay this life lesson to him. He has become addicted to the Television show called House. I watched this show the other night and now realize my son has serious mental issues! He has even gone as far as to get the cane this clown carries. If you have never seen the show here it is in a nutshell. This brilliant Doctor is the biggest asshole on the planet. He demeans everyone he comes into contact with, socially unacceptable and rude would be an understatement as a descriptor for Dr. House. This is a guy, who in real life, would get punched out at any social event he ever attended. My young son thinks he is Dr. House. He had the gall to look me in the eye at dinner the other night and tell me he was smarter than 85% of the people on earth! What an asshole right? Now he is and has always been a smart young man. 26 on the A.C.T. the first time he took it; graduated number one in his class in the Air Force Special Forces as well. But I think 85% is not even in the ballpark, if you get my drift. He has been tested, and has a very good I.Q. but better than 85% I just am not sure.

He answers questions now with these ridicules philosophical retorts. He tells me now that he should be happy, with which I agree. Then he finished the sentence, I cannot stand stupidity so I point it out at every occasion. What do you tell a kid like this? As I told him when we had this surreal conversation the other night you will die a lonely man my young son. He said he didn’t care as long as he didn’t have to put up with stupid people. WOW think about that statement as it applies to your life. What would it be like to not have to deal with someone you perceived as dumb? That person at the check out that doesn’t have the checkbook out until the clerk says how much the purchase is, the one who is talking on the cell phone when the red light changes and sits there until someone blows the horn at them then they get all pissed off! And I am sure you could insert several others. But really they are not stupid, they are not engaged, paying attention call it what you will but stupid I think not. They found the store didn’t they, they passed the driver’s test hopefully. They are simply not paying attention. I am sure you have never had the horn blown at you at a red light correct?

Well back to Dr. House. My son is a very talented writer. At his young age he already has written a novel! And I must to tell you a few friends have read it including a published author and he says it is rough but very good for a first attempt. So I think I am going to try to write him a letter and explain my point of view. I know talking only pisses me off. He goes in character and I lose him. Maybe if I take the opportunity to act away and make him read it I will open his eyes.

As my grandfather told me one time “Character is what you do when no one is looking.” So I am going to write my Character and see if I can’t open his eyes.

Well I am off to a friend’s house. Maybe some Short Ribs and red wine will make me feel better. Always remember have Character don’t be one!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment