Sunday, January 3, 2010

Moved

I have heard it said that English is the hardest language to learn, as a second one, due to the fact we have so many words that have different meanings depending on how they are used in the sentence. This is such a word. In one case it means something physical, changing your location. I can’t think of a time in my life when it meant something wonderful, in the physical form, other than when I moved out of my Fathers house! On the other hand it means something emotional. And as I sit here I can’t think of a time when I have been moved that it didn’t turn out to be a blessing in some form.

I go to a rather large church. We go to an early service. I’m not sure why more than likely because I can’t stand traffic. The early service offers me a smaller crowd and a chance to get in and out with little or no traffic. But I digress.


This morning as I stood listening to the singing of the congregation I noticed that the majority of the people in church were swaying to this rather beautiful song. I thought then, that how powerful it was that the song, the performers, the situation or whatever it was had this effect on that many people. I then started remembering the moments in my life where I was moved.

The biggest one I remembered was that day after Thanksgiving 1985 when I stood and listened to a doctor tell me my Father had maybe 6 months to live. As I look back on that what a blessing. I got to be with my Father from that weekend until he died the following April. We got everything we needed to get straight. We apologized for the things we should have and told each other how proud we were of the other and got everything done for his funeral. We were closer when he died than at anytime in my life. What a blessing.

Then the time my son was born. Looking down on this little person and the idea that this was mine and my responsibility to take care of always was pretty moving. There have been many moving things between he and I and the second most moving had to be the day he made Airman in the USAF. I rarely fight back tears, that day it was the hardest thing to do for me. I have never been prouder of him.

The day in Tampa when my wife’s son came into the waiting room wearing a hospital scrub shirt with a tiny set of foot prints of his newly born baby daughter imprinted on his chest and the embrace between him and his mother I will never forget.


I do not understand people who say they are not emotional. How can you watch a episode of Dogtown and not be moved to try to help this poor animals. How can you watch a reunion between a soldier and his or hers family after being in harms way and not be moved. I am not trying to get us to be a society of babbling crybabies, but I do think if we do not stop and be moved we miss an incredible part of life. Like it is said; in the end it's not the years in your life that count, the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

So I advocate letting the things in your life move you in 2010. Pay attention and enjoy what I get to enjoy daily.
Well I think I going to load up the girls and take them to brunch. What a blessing to have them to share a great meal. Proving once again how truly blessed I am, and have been for my entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment