Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving

As I sit here thinking about the events of the next few days I am wondering about numerous things. This is the first Thanksgiving I will not be able to speak to my Mother. My son is on an Air Force Base in Texas. Now I will not be alone by any means, I have the greatest friends on the planet. We will be together as we have been for the last 10 years or so. But this year there will be a large hole, my Mom. Then I have this thought. How selfish can one person be? Depending on your faith, this will be my Moms best Thanksgiving in over 22 years. You see my Father die in 1986. They will be together. Not only that but all of my grandparents, all of my uncles and aunts safe one are there as well. Now I am starting to get it. I have that to really be thankful for. I know the foods will be wonderful on Thursday where I am. However, it can’t touch everything my Mother will get this year. There will be my aunt’s coconut cake, granny’s pecan pie, and sweet potatoes that no one has ever been able to replicate.

In this me, me world this is a great thing to think about. If you share my faith, that when we die we go to a better place, if you have lived a good and decent live. Then even your family and friends whom have gone before are together as well and the table will be set with love and happiness. And we think we have it good!

I think this Thanksgiving I will be just a little jealous as I think about the majority of my family will be together, just not with me. Make no mistake I look forward to when I am at that table. However, I still have a lot of things I have to do before I am ready for that one!! I want to see my Son marry and have children. Especially the one that I will put the “curse” on to be just like him!!! I want to see what live is like in retirement mode. I will be living on the beach somewhere and can’t wait for that morning walk with my lovely wife every morning. I want to see my Memphis sister have her first grandchild. This child will be treated like the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama!! Its feet will not touch the ground until well past its third birthday!! So please leave me here for a while.

Well I guess I need to go to Feinberg packing company and pick up my traditional fresh ham. Here is wishing you and yours a safe and happy holiday season. And may your Thanksgiving table be filled with thanks and joy. I know where there will be two just like that….

No comments:

Post a Comment