Monday, March 23, 2015

Change


I have been told for many years that people come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.  I have been very blessed to have all three and have been smart enough to recognize them as they entered and left my life.

I can remember the first reason friends.  I was fresh out of culinary school and took a job working for two gay guys.  They were fantastic!  They taught me so many life lessons.  They taught me how to treat team members.  They taught me everyone is important and has bad days.  They taught me how to be serious when you have to be but how to work and enjoy your days even if you are so busy you can’t catch your breath.  They taught me how to appreciate your partner.  They taught me how important a positive attitude is in your life.  They taught me how to forgive people who didn’t know you and hurt you or took advantage of you; and how it is important to forgive those people for your benefit and peace of mind.  Then in the blink of an eye they both were gone.  AIDS is a terrible thing and took two of my friends far too early in their lives.

I have had numerous season friends.  Being in the airline business for many years I got to know a lot of people.  I spent many happy seasons with a lot of folks.  Then I transitions into the cooking business met so many cool people you can’t believe.  The food business has to be one of the most unknown fun businesses yet.  Most people have no clue what goes on behind that kitchen door and how much fun is had back there.  Then it was the wine business.  The best business a person can ever be in.  I have met some many great people over a glass or bottle of wine they are way too numerous to mention. But truthfully, most were season people.  The funny thing about season people is that I believe, in your mind, they all start out as lifetime people. 

And the blessed man has had many Lifetime people.  I still am in contact with many people I when to high school with.  Now I’m not talking about a Hi on Facebook.  I mean knowing what is happening in their lives every week.  Talk to you on a daily basis friends. 

Here is my dilemma.  There are people in my life that have been here for well over twenty years. I consider them lifetime people.  But as we grow older and change environments things change.  Whenever I am with them my heart sings and I know without a doubt that they are lifetime people.  Then it might be weeks, or even a month before you see them again and I miss them.  However, they are moving in another direction.  I have decided to look at it like a parent.  There is always that day when you must let that son or daughter go.  They are still your child, but they aren’t there every night anymore.  Do you love them any less?  I think not.  As they say absences make the heart grow fonder. This I can promise is a life truth!  I guess I will simply look forward to the times we spend together.  Enjoy them, love them, and be there for them in every way.  And allow them to go and possible find them more friends.  Who knows they may even bring back a few people I can enjoy.  

Be it a reason, a season or a lifetime.

Peace,



The Blessed Man

No comments:

Post a Comment