Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Recognition

Most of the posts here are about my blessing and how they affect my life. This one is a mixed bag as you will see. Within my Memphis family there is a couple who are closely related to some, now, very famous people. One of my best friends in the world has an aunt, whom I love dearly, whose daughter has recently become a national hero. I have to tell you, I’m a big believer in the apple doesn’t fall from the tree, as in the case of the Grandfather in an earlier post. I believe this very strong and compassionate woman has had a wonderful effect on her now famous daughter.

Now for the reveal, I sat on the edge of my seat watching the Oscar’s the other night. Now if you knew me you would know I have not seen a movie in a theater since my son and I saw one of the Lords of the Rings movies eons ago. So why in the world am I glued to the Oscar’s; because the Best Actress award has got to go to Sandra Bullock? You see, she played my friends daughter in the Blind Side, that’s right, I in a very roundabout way I know Sean and Leigh Ann Tuohy and Michael Oher. See the woman I was talking about above, is her Mother. I am blessed to have shared many a dinner and spade game with Leigh Ann’s mom.

The story of Leigh Ann and her unyielding faith in Michael and her beliefs that he needed and deserved a loving and caring home, and she was willing to risk all things to ensure it was provided is a story for all time. I am embarrassed to tell you I have not seen the movie. I have heard about it from all my friends and how most of the men friends I have will admit, at the very least, to tearing up during the movie speaks volumes for it. You see I have been blessed to be at Christmas and other holidays when the Tuohy’s would be in attendance long before the notoriety and fame. Michael was a perfect gentleman, quiet and always polite. There is absolutely nothing about this family that is fake or unreal. Even Sean who has had a bit of fame before this, as a stand out player for Ole Miss back in the day, has always been so nice to me that is says a lot about the family. So you see I saw the movie before it was made. I was so blessed to have crossed paths with this special family during times when no one was watching. Like my father, and others, has said Character is what you do when no one is watching. I saw this when no one else was watching.

So as I close I will repeat. Leigh Ann is a special lady, Sean a special guy. I have to think the Mother has had a huge influence on her and her choices in life. A strong Christian woman who has a zest for life and a heart simply made to love. When this special lady hugs you, you feel it all the way to the core of your soul. She has a very special place in my heart. Aren’t we blessed when we are raised by loving and giving parents who teach thinks like love and caring for others no matter what they look like? Now remember this was a long time ago when it was not a popular belief. How special is that?

So once again the blessed man has seen something that points out how blessed we are to know people that are larger than ourselves and have beliefs they are not afraid to act on and do things that might not be the most popular. I only can hope that one day the young man that carries my name would be willing to do something that might affect someone’s life in a good way. I wish for us all that we have the vision to see these opportunities as they are presented to us.

Well I am so glad Sandra Bullock won. In some small way that means I won; because I know these special people and have been blessed to have known them for a long time. We need more people like them in the world.

Well guess I need to go get this movie. I have read the book so I’m hoping that gets me a small reprieve. Congratulations Sandra Bullock rarely do you get the chance to play a real person who has such a wonderful gift. I only hope she got to know Leigh Ann’s Mom because without her we would all have missed this wonderful story.

Peace,

The Blessed Man

No comments:

Post a Comment