Sunday, August 5, 2012

Girls



You might be asking “What does the blessed man know about girls?”  Well I grew up in a 900 square foot house with 4 of them!!  That’s right and oh and I forgot to mention it had one bathroom.  Yepper’s me my dad and 4 girls, 3 sisters and a mother.  I can remember it like it was yesterday, I was maybe 5 years old my Dad calls me over to his chair and told me we always had to have each other’s back.  I, of course, told him always why did he say that?  He told me if we didn’t they, “the girls”, would separate us and kill us!!! So funny.  To this day I still laugh out loud whenever I think about that conversation. 

Well there is about to be another invasion of girls.  My Memphis family is about to add 2 to the family.  And the really cool thing is they are going to be about a week apart in age.  I can remember I had a cousin that was about a month older than me and we were always very close I think the age had a lot to do with it myself. 

Well of course the big story for me is PoP PoP.  When the reveal was done the other  night he was a biggest smile there.  He has one little girl already and she is the apple of his eye.  And speaking of that little girl I should say young woman she is graduating Nursing school a week after all the babies are born.  Girls Girls Girls.  All pretty and smart.  How blessed we are as a family to be adding two more wonderful children to this already love drenched family.  One will be in Atlanta and the other here.  Well I can tell you the one here will not walk until she goes to school because one of her grandparents will always have her in their arms.

As I sit here thinking about family and little girls I have often wondered what it must be like to have a little girl.  I know I would sit by jealously watch my sisters interact with my Dad.  He was always somehow a little gentler, a little more forgiving, a little more patience and loving with his girls.  He loved me I am sure but I always had a higher standard and was always expected to watch after the girls.  I remember the night we found out he had cancer he told me I was now to take care of the girls.  He did love his girls.

As we enter into the girl portion of this phase of life how blessed I will be to watch someone I love dearly have a dream come true he has said for years.  He wanted a little girl.  Well my brother you have two coming.  I can see them now.  Standing in his kitchen both holding their little arms up smiling and saying PoP PoP can we have-----?  And him smiling and saying of course you can my angels.  Give me chills just thinking about it.  You know sometimes it is better to see someone get something than to get something you want yourself.  This is one of those times.  I am so happy and proud of DeeDee and PoPop no one wanted grandchildren more than them and be able to watch this is a special moment for me.

With all of the changes going on in my life the old adage "the more things change the more they remain the same" is very fitting.  I guess it will always be about the girls.  I know I love everyone of them that is in my life; from my angel of a wife, to my adopted sister to my real one which I never see enough.  So, all those years ago my dad had it right you got to take care of the girls.  Well Pop Pop if you ever need help taking care of your girls I stand ready and willing.

Peace,

The Blessed Man

No comments:

Post a Comment